Friday, February 7, 2014

Simon's Homecoming

I realized while writing my last article that I haven't written since Noah was four months old. I'm not surprised; We've been incredibly busy since Simon came home. I figured its a better-late-than-never kind of situation to talk about when Noah first met his father.


Simon came home from Afghanistan when Noah was exactly five months old: October 23rd.


I went to work, and it flew by. I was expecting him to arrive around 5 pm, so I left work at 2 pm. Then I got a call that he was going to be home at 6:30, so I did some shopping for the pets before picking Noah up from daycare. I was getting ready at 5 pm, and I got another call saying he was going to be there at 5:30! HOLY CRAP. I immediately stopped, grabbed Noah, and left the house. I drove like a crazy person to base, and it took another 20 minutes to get to the right place. I was the last person to show up, and Simon's bus pulled up about 10 minutes after. I'm so glad we made it in time.


While I was waiting, some kid screamed "The bus is coming!" I started sobbing like a baby, and the kid was just lying. It didn't pull up for like 5 minutes afterward. But I cried and cried and cried. I was a bigger baby than Noah.


Simon got off the bus. I recognized him, but then I kind of didn't. His cheeks were sunken into his face. That took me by surprise. I couldn't tell when we video chatted, but in person it was very apparent. For a second I didn't think it was him, but I'd always be able to recognize his smile.


So we hugged and kissed, and it was adorable. Then Simon picked up his son for the first time. Noah took to him instantaneously. It was the most memorable part of the whole night. I had been very worried that he would cry, because he developed stranger anxiety a few weeks previously. For Simon's sake, I had hoped it would go well. It was better than well. It was miraculous.


And then all three of us went home together.


<3

1 comment:

Debbie said...

Nice story Kristin, I know I was glad you were all together too!
I could not wait for that to happen :)